31 May 2024

Creating a Healthy Jakarta with Smoke-Free Zones

by:Amira Sofa

Editor:Ramdan Malik Batubara, Aditya Gagat Hanggara

31 May 2024

Every May 31, we commemorate World No Tobacco Day. This initiative was launched by the World Health Organization (WHO) in 1987. Its goal is simple yet important: to raise global awareness about the dangers of tobacco and support efforts to reduce tobacco consumption worldwide.

Smoking is not just a bad habit; it is a real threat to health. Cigarette smoke contains more than 7,000 chemicals, with at least 69 of them known to cause cancer. For active smokers, this is a big problem, but let's not forget the impact on passive smokers or people who inadvertently inhale smoke from others.

How Dangerous is Smoking for Health?

Before understanding the dangers of smoking, Smartcitizens need to know what smoking involves. According to the DKI Jakarta Health Agency, smoking includes tobacco products such as filtered/clove cigarettes, cigars, shisha (Arabian cigarettes), and pipes. A single cigarette contains 4,000 types of chemicals, 400 hazardous substances like carbon monoxide, tar, and nicotine, and 43 carcinogenic substances that cause cancer.

In Jakarta, the number of active smokers is quite alarming. The DKI Jakarta Health Agency reports that four out of tenmiddle and high school students in Jakarta are smokers. This is in addition to smokers from other age groups. On the other hand, the dangers do not only threaten active smokers but also passive smokers. Of the total risks of cigarette smoke, only 25% are experienced by active smokers. The remaining 75% affects non-smokers around them. These passive smokers have a 25-30% higher chance of developing heart disease and a 20-30% higher chanceof getting lung cancer.

Smoke-Free Zones: Efforts to Reduce Cigarette Smoke in Jakarta

To curb the dangers of smoking in Jakarta, the DKI Jakarta Provincial Government has implemented Smoke-Free Zones as an effective solution to protect the public from the dangers of cigarette smoke. Smoke-Free Zones include public areas such as schools, hospitals, places of worship, and public transportation where smoking is prohibited. Smoking is strictly forbidden in these areas according to the Jakarta Governor's Regulation No. 118 of 2020. This regulation not only bans smoking in certain areas but also requires the presence of Smoke-Free Zones signs and imposes penalties on violators.

Report Violations of Smoke-Free Zones and Cigarette Ads via JAKI

As health-conscious Jakarta residents, especially regarding the health of smokers, we play a crucial role in supporting and complying with Smoke-Free Zones regulations. One effective way is by using the Report feature in the JAKI app to report smoking activities in Smoke-Free Zones or cigarette ads still rampant in various places. This step helps the government enforce the rules and ensure a healthier environment.

Reporting smoking activities in Smoke-Free Zones or cigarette ads is easy. You can follow these steps:

  • Open the JAKI app or download it from the Google Play Storeor Apple App Store.
  • Click the Camera button at the bottom of the homepage.
  • Check the agreement statement. Click Create Report.
  • Take a photo for the report. If it was taken earlier, click the gallery symbol and select the photo.
  • Click Use.
  • Set the photo location and type the specific location characteristics. Click Next.
  • Type in the report details. Click Next.
  • Choose the report category “KDM dan Iklan Rokok” (Smoke-Free Zones and Cigarette Ads).
  • Review and check the report's accuracy, including the type, location, description, and category.
  • Check the agreement statement. Click Send.

Let's Create a Smoke-Free Jakarta!

By understanding the importance of Smoke-Free Zones, not smoking in these areas, and reporting violations through JAKI, you can help create a healthier and more comfortable Jakarta. Let's support Smoke-Free Zones for a better and healthier Jakarta.

More in Smart People Category

Jakarta's birthday is coming soon! Various events are being held to celebrate the anniversary of our beloved city.

PPDB 2024 has several kinds of submissions. Levels of SD, SMP, and SMA are allowed to pick one. Read the terms and conditions here!

PPDB DKI Jakarta 2024 will open soon. Ready? Don’t miss it, note the schedule!

May 31 is observed as World No Tobacco Day. Efforts to make Jakarta smoke-free are implemented through Smoke-Free Zones.

PPDB DKI Jakarta 2024 is participated by all educational institutions. To avoid any mistakes, learn the regulations and procedure here!

Buying books in Jakarta can be tough with many stores around. Ranging from markets to literary hubs, here are some recommendations for you.